I have been going zucchini noodle mad lately. I frequent a couple of my local cafe’s that offer them as salads on their menus and I love them every time. Who would have thought raw zucchini would be so good!
So how do you make zucchini noodles? Well there are a few ways you can make them. You can make with either a mandoline, spiraliser or a julianne peeler. The least expensive option is the julianne peeler which will cost around $10, the other advantages (other than the price) of this option is that the peeler is a very small item to store and super simple to use.
I was lucky enough to get a mandoline for mothers day, which I have been wanting for ages and now that I have one I know that my kitchen was missing this amazing item. The mandoline is a very quick way to make zucchini noodles and this is what I used to make this dish. I am still very concerned about my fingers becoming noodles too so I am being very careful!
I also have a hand held spiraliser in my cupboard but I have found it to be more trouble that it is worth and I don’t like using it. The zucchini won’t fit down the shoot, then it makes the noodles really short. I have found it to be a painful little kitchen tool. However you can purchase a large version that sits on the bench and has a handle to make the spirals and I am sure the results are very good and fast but then you have to find space to store it.
This dish is an old favourite, converted to be a much healthier and yummier version by using zucchini rather than pasta. It is a super quick dinner or lunch idea and could be either an entire meal or a side. Enjoy!
- 4 Zucchini, made into noodles
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 rashers of bacon, diced
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a wok or pan over medium heat with the olive oil in the pan.
- Add the crushed garlic and diced onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the diced bacon and cook with the onion & garlic for another 3 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and combine all ingredients and simmer over a low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini noodles and toss through the sauce ensuring all the noodles are coated.
- Toss for a couple of minutes until the zucchini is heated through and then serve immediately into bowls.