For a foodie who loves meat, poultry, eggs and seafood, my first week plant based has been fantastic, much better than I expected in-fact.
There have been things about eating plant-based that I have really enjoyed and there have also been some plant-based challenges. I will talk you through the pro’s and con’s as I have seen them over the past week.
Pro’s to my first week living plant-based.
- I have really enjoyed thinking outside of the square when it comes to cooking and choosing ingredients. Being plant-based over the last week has made me open my eyes to different ingredients and products that are available. I have spent more time in the salad isle at the supermarket and brought items that in the past I would have overlooked.
- It has been fun to experiment with new ingredients and recipes. I have been spending time on Pinetrest looking at plant based and vegan recipes and expanding my knowledge.
- I am feeling good, but only to the same level as I would if I was eating clean and non-processed food.
- I am not missing meat! My husband cooked a steak the other day and I didn’t look at it and think, ‘ohhhh, I wish I was able to eat that.’
Con’s to my first week living plant-based.
- I have never eaten as many beans before and I have discovered that they really don’t sit that well with me. I have been getting a bloated tummy and loads of gas, it is really bad! At the risk of over sharing, lets just say, you don’t want to share an office or any other confined space with me!
- Eating out is very difficult! I have been to Japanese twice and the only options are edamame beans, tofu or avocado rolls. I am not eating rice or batter so then there really is only edamame beans. Without eating meat, it is very limited when you are at a cafe or restaurant.
- I have not lost any weight on the scales as yet, but I will leave that judgement for 2 more weeks from now, rather than speak too soon before I have given it a chance.
- My expectation was that I would be feeling exceptional, I am not at that level. I am feeling good, but not incredible. Again, it has only been one week.
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN EATING
- Oats cooked with cinnamon, cut apple and water;
- Almond milk or black coffee;
- Salad and beans/tofu for lunch;
- Curried vegetables and chickpeas with salad for dinner.
- Fruit as a snack if I am hungry.
There you have it, my take on one week of plant-based living so far. For a meat, chicken, fish and seafood lover, I am not craving these foods as much as I thought I would.
I will check in with you in another weeks time, stay tuned!