Sweet potato or kumara as we call it in NZ, is the most amazing ingredient not only for the usual vegetable dishes, soups and salads but also as an ingredient in baking. It fluffs up baked goods just beautifully and taste’s delicious. If you haven’t tried my Amazing Sweet Potato Brownie recipe yet then you are missing out!
You can use any variety of sweet potato or kumara in this recipe, I used the golden variety.
This loaf is savoury and perfect with sliced avocado, tomato, to go with soup or simply on it’s own.
I am obsessed with thyme at the moment! It is amazing sprinkled on roast vegetables as they cook or in fresh soups. Thyme grows really well in my garden so I have it at my disposal at the moment. If you don’t have any fresh thyme you can leave it out or use rosemary instead.
This loaf is really easy to make and it is gluten and dairy free. It is lovely fresh from the oven or toasted served with poached eggs and smashed avo. If you can’t get through a whole loaf, slice it up and freeze it.
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 eggs
- 300 grams cooked sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees celsius and line a loaf tin with baking paper
- In a large bowl combine the ground almonds, coconut flour, baking soda, salt and thyme.
- In a separate bowl, mash the sweet potato and combine with the eggs, olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the baking loaf and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Enjoy with butter (if you enjoy butter) avocado, tomato, or with a soup.