This slice is really easy to make and it is delicious! The base can be made in advance and kept in the fridge of freezer, for best results, arrange the strawberry topping on the day that you are serve the dessert.
Gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, has never tasted better!
This lovely summer treat is decadent but still light. It is perfect to have on Christmas day, take to BBQ or party, or just make it for your self at home over the holidays. Strawberries are so ripe and fresh at this time of year, plus it is great to have a healthier treat on offer around Christmas time.
- 1 cup dried dates
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup fresh strawberries slices
- To Make Base:
- In a food processor place the dates, almonds and cacao. Process until fine and crumbly. If you donn't have a really good processor, do this bit by bit.
- Add the coconut oil and process further until combined.
- Add the sliced almonds and mix through and stir through.
- Line a baking tin or dish with parchment paper and press the mixture into the base of the tin.
- Place in fridge to set.
- To Make Topping:
- In a saucepan over a medium heat place the coconut oil and melt.
- Slice two cups of strawberries in half 's and add to the saucepan along with the honey, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Let simmer over a low heat for five minutes until the mixture looks gooey.
- Remove from the heat and place in fridge to chill.
- Assemble this dish right before serving by placing the base on a large serving plate, top with the cooled strawberry coulis and then top with the fresh sliced strawberries and a sprinkle of sliced almonds.
- Cut into bars and serve.