Winter is here, work is busy and all I can say is…. thank goodness for inventions like the slow cooker. It really does make life easier when I have a busy week, I can pop dinner on before I leave for work and then I don’t need to think about it again until it needs to be served. Every Tuesday night we have ‘Taco Night’ I know very cliche, but it is our favourite night of the week, this is one of the recipes that I make for taco night. But this dish really has heaps of uses, not just for tacos. A few ideas or uses are:
- On it’s own in a bowl;
- On top of rice with a big dollop of smashed avo;
- On top of a big leafy green salad;
- In the pan with eggs poached in the chili;
- Loaded in baked sweet potato;
- On top of zucchini noodles.
This is a standard recipe that I make quite often, this is the perfect staple dish to have up your sleeve. My kids can be very fussy and hate greens, but so this is a great way to sneak a few greens into them and they don’t even know it.
You can get creative and top the tacos with what ever you like, grated carrots, salsa, chilli’s, fresh herbs, smashed avocado, capsicum or even cheese & sour cream if you don’t mind a bit of dairy in your life. Enjoy!
- 1 kg beef mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 zucchini, grated
- ½ capsicum finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop and prepare all the ingredients.
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker in no particular order.
- Stir all the ingredients together and place the slow cooker on low heat for the day. No less than 5 hours.
- Serve the taco mince in cos lettuce leaves and top with fresh diced avocado, tomato and coriander.
- TIP: Sometimes I will put the mince into the slow cooker straight from the freezer and it works out really well. It will require a really good stir though.