The year has commenced and I am back to work, all I can say is, thank goodness for inventions like the slow cooker. It really does make life easier when I have a busy week, I can pop dinner on before I leave for work and then I don’t need to think about it again until it needs to be served. Today I am making slow cooker pork mince tacos for dinner tonight.
This is a standard recipe that I make quite often, I do think that it’s a bit to boring to share on Real Food Pledge, however I then thought I would share it anyway because everybody needs to have a few good staples up their sleeve. My kids can be very fussy, but they love tacos and I can sneak a few greens into them and they don’t even know it.
You can get creative and top the tacos with what ever you like, grated carrots, salsa, chilli’s, fresh herbs, smashed avocado, capsicum or even cheese & sour cream if you don’t mind a bit of dairy in your life. Enjoy!
- 1 kg pork mince
- ¼ cup water
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Salt to taste
- Chop and prepare all the ingredients.
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker in no particular order.
- Stir all the ingredients together and place the slow cooker on low heat from 8am until 5-6pm, or on high for only 6 hours.
- Serve the taco mince in cos lettuce leaves and top with fresh diced avocado, tomato and coriander.
- TIP: Sometimes I will put the mince into the slow cooker straight from the freezer and it works out really well. It will require a really good stir though.