This recipe is total comfort food that the entire family will love. It is full of gorgeous flavours and stress combating ingredients. This is a great dish to be made ahead of time or as part of your food prep for the week ahead. It is so delicious and full of gorgeous curry flavours.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favourite ingredients and they are packed with beta-carotene and other vitamins in addition to fibre, which helps you feel full longer.
One of the other stress relieving ingredients in this dish is turmeric. Not only does turmeric offer amazing colour and flavour to dishes it is also a superfood that has properties that can counteract or prevent underlying chemical imbalances in mood disorders.
This dish is a perfect as a vegetarian main or as a side dish.
- 3 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of dry quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400g can of coconut milk
- 400g can of diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sprig fresh coriander, garnish
- 1 lime, garnish
- Rinse the quinoa and add it to to 1½ cups water in a pot and place on the stove.
- Add a small pinch of sea salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to very low and place on a lid. Simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes or until all the water has absorbed then turn off the heat.
- In the mean time you can start on the curry. In a large saucepan over a medium heat, place 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the crushed garlic, crushed ginger and diced onion, sauté until the onion is transparent.
- Now add all of the remaining spices, turmeric, cumin, chilli flakes and salt and pepper. Mix into the pot the diced zucchini and sweet potato, stirring to combine and coating the veggies in the spices.
- Add the can of tomatoes and coconut milk and allow to simmer on the stove with a lid on the pot for 20 minutes.
- Finally stir through the quinoa and serve. Garnish with fresh coriander and lime.