I created this very special celebration cake for Good Magazine. They were doing a feature on celebration cakes and they also wanted to include a healthy cake. They already had recipes for raw cakes, chocolate cakes and carrot cakes so I had to be creative and come up with something lovely.
I love anything with pineapple in it, so a hummingbird cake seemed like the perfect solution to me!
In this recipe I use coconut yogurt for the icing, however you could use a cream cheese icing if you don’t mind diary in your diet, or the other option is whipped coconut cream. This cake as it is, is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free and 100% amazing and worthy of any celebration.
- 1½ cup dried dates
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 4 ripe banana’s, mashed
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup coconut yogurt, icing
- ½ cup walnuts, crushed
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees celcius and line the base of two round springform cake tins with baking paper and grease the sides. (I only had one tin so just baked one after the other)
- In a food processor whizz half of the dried dates and half of the coconut flour until they are finely ground down, add more dates and coconut flour until all of the ingredients are ground down and combined.
- Add the coconut, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and combine in the food processor.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the mashed banana’s, water, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar and whisk together until there are no lumps.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine with a fork.
- Add the pineapple and mix through.
- Place half of the cake mixture in each cake tin and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once cooked place on a cake wrack and let cool.
- Place a layer of coconut yogurt on top on one of the cakes and place the second cake on top. Cover the rest of the cake with coconut yogurt, top with crushed walnuts and serve.