This dish is amazing because it is so yummy but it’s just vegetables. That’s it! So if you want a super healthy meal that is 100% nutritious and delicious then this is perfect. I love this dish as a meal by itself, as a side dish or I have even baked eggs on top of the left overs for breakfast and it turned smashingly well.
This home-made chilli & tomato sauce is a go-to for me. Sometimes I make a huge batch and have it in the fridge to serve it with eggs in the morning, over BBQ steak or to make a quick dinner and serve with zucchini noodles. But it is also quick enough just to make it as you need it.
If you don’t have fresh tomatoes on hand you can opt to use canned tomatoes instead (one standard can). You can either serve the hot sauce on the raw zucchini noodles as I have or you can mix the sauce right through the noodles and the noodles will blanch in the hot sauce, which is also really nice.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- Splash of olive oil
- 8 ripe med tomatoes, chunky diced
- 1 capsicum, chunky diced
- 1 handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 zucchini, spiralized
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the diced onion, crushed garlic & sliced chilli and saute for 3 minutes.
- (If you want the sauce to be less spicy, remove the seeds from the chilli. Or if you don't have a red chilli you can use ½ - 1 teaspoon of chilli powder instead.)
- Add the tomatoes, capsicum, basil, coriander and salt and pepper to the saucepan.
- Gently simmer for 12 - 15 minutes over a low-medium heat with the lid on. Stir every couple of minutes ensuring your mixture isn't dry. If need be add a little water, this might be needed if your tomatoes are not very juicy.
- Place the zucchini noodles on a plate and top with the chilli & tomato sauce when it's ready.
If you want to learn 4 ways to make perfect zucchini noodles click here.