Do you ever get that sluggish, bloated feeling where your clothes are tight despite being a healthy eater? It can be as simple as having excess fluid on board.
It can ruin a good day, making you feel uncomfortable and irritable and it can be hard to recognise that the reason is that you have excess fluid. I used to constantly suffer from excess fluid but I wasn’t in tune enough with my body to understand that is what it was. Now I know when I am fluidy and I know what to do to fix it.
To identify excess fluid you might find that you have a little swelling around the ankles, feet and hands, a bloated tummy or have tight jean syndrome, it may even appear on the scales.
Since I have been more in tune with what is going on with my body I have learnt what causes my water retention and, more importantly, how I can get rid of it.
These are some of the reasons that you could be carrying excess fluid:
- Hot humid whether.
- Being on your feet for long periods
- Hormones associated with menstrual cycle, the annoying realities of being a female!
- Not getting enough protein or vitamin B1 in your diet.
- High salt intake, too much processed food.
- Long haul flights, this does it for me every time!
- Lymphatic congestion and toxin build up.
I was reading on Chi of Life Retreat, which is a health retreat in the Sunshine Coast, that they believe in working from the inside out and that excess weight is just a symptom of underlying issues. This is exactly what I believe too. It starts with the basics like eating a healthy diet consisting of real food and enjoying simple but regular exercise.
- Get on a mini trampoline for 10 minutes each day
- Dry skin brushing
- Lymphatic drainage massage
- Legs up the wall (yoga pose)
- Infrared sauna
- Deep breathing through the diaphragm creates pressure and expansion that helps pump the lymphatic fluid.
- Breast stroke in the pool.
- Sip hot water every 15mins throughout the day.
- Eat red food, Berries, cherries, pomegranate, beets, and cranberries were all traditionally used as dyes and as natural lymph moving and detoxifying agents.
- Drink loads of water to flush it out
You can read more about the tips and suggestions on Chi of Life Retreat. This is not medical advice, if you have concerns about your health you should consult a health care professional.