I love pulled pork and it is such an on trend dish at the moment. Lots of cafes have it on their menu and it is hard to go past. Pulled pork is often served on buns or in tacos but there are so many more ways that this delicious meat can be served.
This recipe is one of the amazing recipes that are in ‘Real Food Everyday’ and it is a one pot self-saucing dish, making this a super simple dish to make!
I hosted a lunch for Good and Nosh Food Markets where there were 12 guests, this is the perfect easy recipe to feed a large group. Everyone absolutely loved the lunch. I served it with the soft shell tacos and apple slaw both from ‘Real Food Everyday’.
Enjoy this delish recipe with friends, family as a dish to take to someones house or just during the week with left overs the next day.
- 2kg boneless pork shoulder or loin
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 apples
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt to taste
- Remove any excess fat from the pork shoulder or loin, place the pork in the slow cooker, and then cover with the sliced onion.
- Peel and dice the apples, and dice the tomatoes. Place the diced apples and tomatoes in a large bowl along with ½ cup of water.
- Add the garlic, ginger, honey, chopped dates, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt.
- Stir all the ingredients together and pour over the pork along with the sea salt.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 12 hours on low heat. After 12 hours remove the pork and shred the meat with two forks.
- Use a strainer to remove any excess fat and juice from the sauce left in the slow cooker and to keep the apple, tomato and onion pulp that remains.
- Place the pulp in a blender or food processor with 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and whiz until the sauce is smooth.
- Mix the ½ - 1 cup of the sauce through the shredded pork & place back in the slow cooker and allow to mix through by cooking for another hour.
- Serve with taco's or salad
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 13 hours
Serves 6 – 10