I am not sure about you, but when I go on holiday, my healthy eating suffers! I have just arrived home after four weeks in Canada and The United States. My family and I went away to experience the joy of a White Christmas and it was amazing, everything I had ever dreamed of. I wanted to experience everything, including all the local food. There was traditional turkey, puton, smores, warm skillet cookies and cheesy fries! It is great for a holiday, but now it is time to get my balance back.
I was also looking forward to enjoying some home cooking. When you eat out every night like I have been, there is nothing better than home cooking.
These Pork and Coconut Meatballs are the perfect recipe for week night dinners, they are easy and delicious!
- 500 grams of pork mince 1 cup of shredded coconut 1 cup chopped coriander 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ripe tomatoes or 2 x 400ml cans of tomatoes 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- To start make the sauce. Dice the onion, garlic & ginger. Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat on the stove.
- Saute the onion, garlic & ginger until the onion is transparent. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, coconut aminos, salt & chili.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes stirring every 5 minutes. In the mean time start making the meatballs.
- To make the meatballs, dice the onion & garlic. In a large bowl add the pork mince, garlic, onion, shredded coconut, coriander & salt. Mix together with your hands or a fork.
- Use a teaspoon to form small meatballs. Heat a large pan over a medium heat with the coconut oil. Place the meatballs in the pan and brown each side, rolling them gently in the pan.
- Repeat until all of the meatballs are cooked. Once all of the meatballs are cooked pour the sauce all around the meatballs and allow to simmer on the stove for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve or zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice.